Applications are valid for one year beyond the semester for which the application is submitted. It is not necessary to submit a new application or application fee during this period. To be considered for an alternate semester, change your semester by logging on to your account.
Home School Applicants
MSU welcomes home school applicants and reviews each application using the same admission criteria used for traditional high school students. Home school students are required to submit all of the application materials listed above, including a transcript. Although the transcript of a home school student may be different than that of a traditional high school student, it should list all courses (including those in progress) from ninth to 12th grade and the time frame (year and semester) of each course. In addition, an assessment of performance (a letter grade, percentage, etc.) is needed. Occasionally, home school applicants are asked to submit additional information describing curriculum or texts used.
- Complete MSU's application for admission online, including the required personal statements. If you prefer, MSU also has an application available on the Coalition Application.
- Pay the $65 nonrefundable application fee using Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or an electronic check.
- Have your official high school transcript(s) sent electronically to MSU by your high school through an electronic delivery service such as Parchment/Docufide, Naviance, or E Scrip-Safe. Schools that do not have access to these services may send official paper documents via U.S. mail to the Office of Admissions.
- Have your ACT or SAT scores sent directly to MSU by the testing agency. The ACT code is 2032; the SAT code is 1465. The writing portion is recommended, but not required. For more information about having your scores sent from the testing agency, visit ACT or SAT online.
- MSU does NOT require letters of recommendation as part of the application for admission.
Located in East Lansing, Michigan State University is a large public institution with over 50,000 enrolled students. Michigan State offers an education focused on bettering the common good and everyday life, while also providing research and study-abroad programs in popular fields such as business, agriculture, and engineering.
Outside the classroom, Michigan State boasts of numerous student clubs and organizations, including Greek life. The university’s strong performance in NCAA Division I athletics — especially in football and basketball — makes the high-spirited green-and-white Spartans nationally well-known.
Michigan State accepted around 66% from the applicant pool this past year. For applicants, MSU requires two personal statements, a task that may initially seem challenging. CollegeVine has prepared this guide to help you tackle these prompts with success!
Looking for another essay guide? Search our College Essay Guide Database to find additional essay prompts.